Happy Sunday! It is the end of the weekend, we’re getting ready to enter the new week (can you believe we’re already halfway through January?!) and I have the perfect pick-me-up for tonight’s dinner: vegan rösti.
These are delicious and deceptively easy patties of grated potato and kale or cavolo nero. I make them anytime I don’t know what to eat, want something easy to make, fairly healthy but with a little bit of a kick.
There are a couple of different ways to make them: either slightly boil the potatoes and then use a potato ricer or grate raw potatoes. As I don’t have a potato ricer and don’t want to cram my small kitchen with single-use utensils, I go for the second version, grating the potatoes raw. However, you could also boil the potatoes and grate them, but I find that some potato varieties don’t come out great and are just too smushed making it difficult to then get the classic Rösti’s appearance (unless you make the recipe for Smashed Potato and Sage Rösti by The Vegan Larder 😍).
One very easy recipe is the one from the Vegan Society.
There are also different versions of this recipe, using other veggies instead of the kale/cavolo nero, like in this recipe for Potato and Pumpkin Rösti by ElephantasticVegan.
My version is very basic:
- 2 potatoes;
- a bunch of kale (leaves only, no stems) or chopped leaves of cavolo nero;
- pinch of salt and black pepper;
- oil to grease the pan
- Peel the potatoes and grate them (similarly to julienne);
- Press the grated potatoes to drain excess liquid (otherwise they will stick to the pan and likely get burnt);
- Put drained potatoes in bowl with kale/cavolo nero and salt and pepper, mix well;
- Heat a bit of oil in a pan;
- Make patties (Rösti) of the potato and kale mix;
- Fry patties (Rösti);
- Serve hot.
I hope you’ll make this recipe and enjoy them as much as I do!
Let me know what you think.