Hello cuties! How are you? Did you enjoy last week’s celebrations? Here, I was craving some more sweeties, but didn’t want to overdo it with more refined sugars than what I already ate and I also had three bananas in the fridge that needed to be used. I came across this Vegan Banana Bread by HolyCowVegan and decided to make it – easy and delicious, banana breads are just that comforting amount of sweet that you can enjoy any time of the day!
- 1 ⅓ cups flour (all purpose flour, a 50-50 mix of whole wheat flour and all purpose flour, or whole wheat pastry flour are all fine)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use sunflower oil, but you can also substitute vegan butter)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 4 very ripe bananas (mashed or blended until smooth with few or no lumps, You will need one more banana for the optional decorative top)
- ¾ cup walnuts (or pecans, lightly toasted, then chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/175 degrees C. Oil an 8 ½-inch by 4 ½-inch loaf pan.
- Whisk the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and flax meal in a bowl.
- Add apple cider vinegar, applesauce and mashed bananas to the flour mixture. Mix until just combined and there’s no dry flour in the bowl.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and spread evenly with a spoon or spatula. If using a banana to decorate the top slice it lengthwise into three slices, then halve each slice. Arrange on top of the loaf.
- Bake the banana loaf about 50-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the banana bread on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes, then unmold and let cool completely on the rack.
Nice and easy, let me know if you liked it!
One thought on “Recipe Sunday – The Best Vegan Banana Bread”
Pingback: Recipe Sunday – The Best Vegan Banana Bread — The Vegan Cat Librarian | My Meals are on Wheels