Happy Sunday, beauties! The past three weeks have been busy, had to work two Saturdays in a row and also helped cover for other members of staff during the week, and I’ve been getting at the end of the week just drained, no matter all the “keeping hydrated + exercising + sleeping 7 hours per night + eating healthy”. But Saturday night means also cabbage soup! Comforting and warm, full of healthy veggies, it’s the perfect dish for the end of a long week.
This is my favourite Vegan Cabbage Soup by LovingItVegan. The recipe calls for Cayenne pepper: I don’t really use it, but obviously, if that’s your taste go for it! Same goes for the broth/stock: the end result is already flavourful so you can skip this (perfect if you have to keep an eye on your salt intake too!). Also, I like to switch the beans I put in the soup: any white beans are great, but also Borlotti and Red Kidney work well in this recipe.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic Crushed
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Large Carrots Chopped
- 2 Large Stalks Celery Chopped
- 6 cups White Cabbage (540g) Chopped
- 15 ounce Can Cannellini Beans White Beans, Drained
- 28 ounces Canned Chopped Tomato (800g)
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock (960ml) or Broth
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- Add chopped onion and olive oil to a pot and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add crushed garlic, dried oregano, dried thyme, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper and sauté with the onions for a minute or so until toasted.
- Add chopped carrots, celery, cabbage and white beans and toss together with the onions and spices.
- Add chopped tomato and vegetable stock and mix in. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pot and leave to simmer until the veggies are soft and cooked.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh parsley sprinkled on top and fresh bread on the side for dipping.
Easy, peasy and super tasty!
I hope it will fill your night with warmth and cosiness.