Hello kittens! Last week I was away all day on Sunday and didn’t manage to share any recipes with you, but today I have a delicious one that it’s great in every season: Vegan Welsh Cakes by DomesticGothess. I already mentioned them in this post, but haven’t shared the whole recipe. They are so easy and quick that during lockdown I have made them before work! And they work great for breakfast and for snacking. I am sure you’ll like them!
- 225 g (1 ¾ cups + 2 Tbsp) self-raising flour (or plain flour plus 1 tsp baking powder)
- ½ tsp mixed spice (pumpkin spice)
- 110 g (4oz / ½ cup) vegan block butter (Naturli Vegan Block or Stork block) cold and cubed
- 85 g (⅓ cup + 1 Tbsp) caster (superfine) sugar plus extra for dusting
- 65 g (2 ⅓ oz) sultanas or currants
- 2-4 Tbsp non-dairy milk
- Place the flour and mixed spice (and baking powder if using plain flour) in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the cold cubed butter and rub in using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs and no lumps of fat remain.
- Add the sugar and sultanas or currants and stir through.
- Gradually stir in enough milk to bring the mixture together into a ball of dough. Be careful not to add too much, it should be soft but not sticky.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until it is about 5mm/¼in thick. Cut it into rounds using a 6.5cm/2 ½in to 7.5cm/3in fluted cutter.
- Bring the scraps together gently and roll out again to cut out more rounds.
- Place a cast iron griddle or heavy bottomed frying pan over a low-medium heat and brush with a small amount of butter. Place some caster sugar in a bowl for dusting.
- Cook a few Welsh cakes at a time until golden, about 3 minutes. Then carefully flip them over and cook for about 3 minutes more until golden on both sides and cooked through. They firm up as they cool. Keep a close eye on them, they can go from golden to burnt very quickly!
- It can be tricky to get the pan to the right temperature so it is a good idea to cook a test cake first to make sure it’s not too hot.
- Once the Welsh cakes are cooked, roll them in the caster sugar while still hot and repeat with the rest of the cakes.
2 thoughts on “Recipe Sunday – Vegan Welsh Cakes”
Hi there! I just wanted to drop a quick note to let you know how much I adore your blog. It’s an amazing hub for anyone who is passionate about food. I particularly enjoy your homestyle recipes and quick bites suggestions, but your fried food ideas are also making my mouth water. I applaud your efforts to supporting people in their dieting journey with insightful tips and tricks. Keep up the excellent work, and I can’t wait to explore more of your fabulous posts!
Have A Great Day Ahead – Melissa
Free Keto Diet Recipes – http://www.ketodietrecipes.co.uk
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a supportive comment! Sharing “easy and quick” recipes that are also tasty and healthy is my mission and I hope you’ll find some more interesting recipes here!